Friday 11 December 2015

Cardinal Joy

This year I decided to stitch a Christmas ornament for my Mum to display in her retirement unit.  After the passing of my Dad last year she didn't really feel it appropriate to hang bright decorations in her unit last Christmas but has decided to this year.  I came across this delightful little banner earlier in the year and research informed me that male red cardinals are very protective of their territory and everyone within it and that epitomised my father perfectly.  I felt this design 'spoke' to me.  

The design was sold by Dimensions as a kit which included full instructions, fabric, threads, seed beads, wire hanger and bells and was designed by Anita Phillips.  I'll admit that it was an intricate design and one which took much concentration and close study of the graph but the instructions were clear....so I plodded on.

Here are photos of the process - firstly the finished stitched design with border.



Then the edge was trimmed before it was folded and bells attached with red triple-strand thread through the back of the mitred corner and also the same was done with the wire hanger.


A neat slip-stitch hem was then stitched on the reverse to secure the edges and form a tidy finish over the border.  


I gave Cardinal Joy to my Mum last week and she has already found a home for it - one which catches the eye and is a feature of the room.  As a crafter herself, she absolutely loves it and the story behind it.

From my family to yours, I would like to take this opportunity to wish all my blog readers a Merry Christmas and a happy and safe New Year and look forward to showing and sharing more of my projects and new designs with you next year. 

Merry Christmas

Ros

'Christmas waves a magic wand over this world, and behold, everything is softer and more beautiful.' - (Norman Vincent Peale)



No comments:

Post a Comment